Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Showers ROCK!

So one thing we english don't do, but TOTALLY SHOULD do, is showers.

Not only do you help out people who could do with that little bit extra love, support, encouragement and just plain stuff. But it is also a good time to just be around other people, to connect with people you mght not normally have a chance to spend time with. Two such occasions happened to me this week...

Saturday was Colleen's stagette afternoon/night. We went to the Freehouse for supper, then on to Shantelle's house for a lingerie shower, then on to Beiley's afterwards. It was a great night, there was some of Colleen's friends, her mum, some of her aunts, Diane, Melanie, Carla, Roxy, Julie was home from Ireland, and Joanna was in from Edmonton, so I got to hang out with people that I really like but rarely get to see. And Colleen seemed to be having a great time, so all was hunky dory.

Last night was Cornerstone's baby shower for Dawn & Libby. It was SO good, I love how there is always a good mix of different ages, and how there is always new people to meet. Libby was good as gold and slept most of the evening while she was passed around. And WOW, did Dawn get some neat stuff... someone had crocheted a blanket, there was a baby time capsule kit (nice idea), and a couple really cute memory books/boxes. And there was, of course, the assortment of adorable outfits/clothing. Kristin did this AWESOME little A - Z talk about baby stuff, it really was great, and very cute.... I'll have to see if she will let me copy that off her for future uses....

5 comments:

monty said...

English do do showers, my wife has been to plenty hen showers and baby showers and likewise I have been to one or too (but not hen showers I add ;-)...)

Chris said...

Are you kidding??? Well, we didn't do them in Teesside, and we definately didn't do them at any of the churches I went to. I'm pretty surprised that you've been to any. Is this a southern thing then?

Helsalata said...

I've never been to one (nor heard of them beyond Friends).

Now I feel like a pathetic loser! ;-)

Chris said...

Helen, the 1st one I ever went to was Christmas 2003, when we came over to Canada for me to meet Lindsay's family, and that bridal shower was my own. I have never heard of people doing showers in England until Monty left his comment. Well I'm glad that it's starting in the UK. They are fun, and I definately want to throw ones for certain people back home when it's the right time.

monty said...

Helen

Yip indeed. When we had our little boy the homegroup they were in had a party and everyone brough food and presents, baby shower.

Similarly a seperate event occurred for when she got married (and I got one too). Whereas she had a bunch of girls and I lads, they came around, gave me presents and we went out for a meal.

Now that might sound like hen night / stag night, but for sure can tell you it wasn't as they were for seperate events.

As to the question about it being a Southern thing, certainly in the UK being born and bred up in Newcastle I had not heard of it - but I was never involved in a scene with new mothers or anything, and baby showers seem the most common. Wasn't until moving to Norwich did I hear and do them.

I know my good friends at Gateway Vineyard have done them.

On a final note - one thing we do when someone has a baby is this. Everyone signs up on a sheet to bring an evening meal around. This means (a) people get to see the baby and (b) we don't need to worry about food at all on an evening. Never heard of this being done elsewhere.