Friday, September 15, 2006

I'm sorry Chris... I stole your post.

I really am bad, I have been struggling with how alcohol is viewed here, and have been trying to explain my point of view and don't feel like I have explained it very well, so I was pleasantly surprised when I checked Chris' site and saw this excerpt from C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. I am ashamed to say that I still have not read this book, but this portion explains my views pretty well:


Temperance

One of the marks of a certain type of bad man is that he cannot give up a thing himself without wanting every one else to give it up. That is not the Christian way. An individual Christian may see fit to give up all sorts of things for special reasons - marriage, or meat, or beer, or the cinema; but the moment he starts saying the things are bad in themselves, or looking down his nose at other people who do use them, he has taken the wrong turn.

One great piece of mischief has been done by the modern restriction of the word Temperance to the question of drink. It helps people to forget that you can be just as intemperate about lots of other things. A man who makes golf or his motor-bicycle be the centre of his life, or a women who devotes all her thoughts to clothes or bridge or her dog, is being just as 'intemperate' as someone who gets drunk every evening. Of course, it does not show on the outside so easily: bridge-mania or golf-mania do not make you fall down in the middle of the road. But God is not deceived by externals.

C.S. Lewis. Mere Christianity


Now, I want you all to remember that I DO NOT agree with drunkeness, and I'm pretty certain that C.S. Lewis would agree on that point. But I do feel like it is all about self control and moderation. I feel like we need to be reminded of that more. Everything in moderation.

4 comments:

Debs Erwin said...

That's a great quote! Thanks for posting it. It reminds me how I really should get round to finishing 'Mere Christianity'!

Kendra Fehr said...

hey - i'm coming to toon town for two days. I'll be in Sunday night. I hope I get to see you, but it will be hard to see everyone cuz my parents are in. Havn't seen my dad for 1.5 years!!

I loved seeing your pics and am kicking myself that I was gone when you were in Edmonton AGAIN!!!

luv yas!

monty said...

Firstly I agree with the quote. For me its loving the person and hating the sin.

Moderation and self control is fine but alcohol, sex, money, drugs etc etc can go from being a lack of moderation to a serious adiction that cannot easily be broken - and thats because addiction sticks a knife into the heart of self control and moderation.

So although I agree it is about self control and moderation, for many people its gone beyond that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
I like that quote. I agree with it, and I agree with Monty. Everything in moderation is good, but some things are more serious than others. For me, the big struggle is, I don't want to cause my sister or brother to stumble because of something I think is alright.